Can I Claim A Uniform Tax Refund If I Work In Security?

Tax Refund For Security Workers

If you work in Security, you may be entitled to claim tax relief on certain work related expenses.

Here is a list of the most common work expenses that people in your sector regularly receive tax refunds for. We will go through them in more detail below, along with how to claim your tax refund if you have missed out on any of these exemptions:

  • SIA registration
  • Using your own car or van to get to jobs.
  • Washing and maintaining your work uniform.
  • Paying membership fees to a Trade Union or recognised professional body
  • Buying your own uniform or safety equipment
  • Travel, food and accommodation whilst working away from home

Security work oftens means wearing specific clothing and safety gear. If you are paying for the upkeep of your uniform out of your own pocket, you might be able to claim a tax refund for these costs. However, what you can actually claim for depends on the work you do and what you’re spending money on.

In order to get a uniform tax rebate as a security worker, you must:

  • Wear specialised clothing/safety gear/equipment for work.This doesn’t have to mean overalls or a suit, but it does have to be an essential part of your job.
  • Incur personal costs for the cleaning and/or upkeep yourself. If the money isn’t coming out of your own pocket, you can’t claim it back.
  • Pay Income Tax. You must have paid the tax in the first place.

There are specific rules relating to the different industries but these are the basics that apply to pretty much everyone. Bear in mind that you generally can’t claim for the initial cost of the clothing. Repairing, cleaning or costs relating to replacing it is reasonable to claim back though. Keeping it in good condition and replacing it when it’s worn out can often count as expenses.

Remember, the only expenses you can claim for are ones that are absolutely necessary for your job.

What Type of Security Workers Can Make a Claim?

It’s not the always type of work that you do, but the type of expense that qualifies you for a Tax rebate. There are a huge number of = security workers in positions where they could be due a Tax refund. Some of the security industries that we deal with daily include:

  • In-House Security – Professionals contracted to oversee a shopping centre, or theme park for example
  • Security Supervisor – A person employed to manage and control general security functions
  • Private Patrol Officers – People contracted to patrol clients’ premises
  • Door Supervisors – i.e. “bouncers”

You are entitled for refunds for work that generates a repayment. It is not entirely based on the type of security work you are involved in. For example, no matter what security industry you are employed in, all costs incurred by travelling to temporary workplaces are refundable. Likewise, there is no distinction made for claiming relief on cleaning uniforms for one security trade against another.

subscription feess

Union Fees And Subscriptions

As a security worker, you can usually claim tax relief on fees or subscriptions you pay to approved professional organisations, but only if you have membership or it relates to your job. These could be professional subscriptions such as SIU membership, SIA licence, HCPC licence.

SIA Licence Costs

The costs associated with obtaining your SIA licence are fully deductible against your Taxable income. This means that up to 45% of the costs can be refunded directly to you. And although your SIA licence is due for renewal every three years, current rules and regulations allow you to claim up to four Tax years worth of expenses.

We will assist you to claim what you are due as a tax refund from HMRC.

You can’t claim tax back on fees or subscriptions for:

  • life membership subscriptions
  • fees or subscriptions you haven’t paid for yourself (for example, if your employer has paid for them)

Travel Expenses & Mileage

If you have to travel for your job as a security worker you may be able to claim tax relief for what you have spent on food or other overnight expenses.

You can claim tax relief for money on things like:

  • Public Transport Costs
  • Hotel Accommodation
  • Food And Drink
  • Congestion Charges And Tolls
  • Parking Fees
  • Business Phone Calls And Printing Costs

You may also be able to claim tax relief on business miles if you use a vehicle/bike. This does not include traveling to and from your work unless it’s a temporary place of work. Your claim will depend on whether you are using a vehicle owned/leased by you or your employer.

How Do I Start My Security Worker Tax Refund?

Collect together as much information as possible concerning your security employments and all expenses incurred. Bear in mind you can back claim expenses for up to four Tax years, even if you have since been made redundant, or changed jobs. This will not affect your current employment in any way or form.

Typical information needed to process your Security Tax refund would include:

  • Copies of payslips
  • Details of sites you have been located at
  • Notes of equipment you specifically have purchased for work reasons
  • Contract of employment
  • Other information you feel could be relevant to your claim

The most important thing to remember is that the more information we have, the more chance of a bigger Tax repayment. No matter how little or irrelevant you think it might be, we could possibly make a claim for the expense.

What Are You Waiting For? Check today!

Check if you are due a Tax refund as a Security Worker