Can I claim A Uniform Tax Refund if I Work In Building And Construction?

Tax Refunds – Building And Construction

If you work in the Building and Construction industry you may be entitled to claim tax relief on certain work related expenses. If you have ever paid for your own travel costs, tools or protective clothing, or union subscriptions, read on to see what you could be entitled to.

PAYE – Building And Construction

It’s common for construction workers to have been employed under PAYE scheme and earn a self employed income under the construction industry scheme, in the same tax year. Many of the expenses allowable under self employment can be claimed against PAYE work as well.

We have been supporting CIS and PAYE workers in the construction industry for a long time and are here to help you to learn more about the tax rebates you might be eligible for when you work in the construction sector.

Allowable Expenses

As a builder or a person who works in construction, you may be able to claim tax back on:

  • Materials, Tools and Equipment
  • Protective clothing/uniform
  • Business travel
  • Business trip expenses
  • Internet phone and stationary
  • Membership fees
  • Motor expenses / mileage allowance
  • Home office expenses when working from home
  • Administration expenses including remuneration for a family
  • member helping with administrative duties or bookkeeping

As a subcontractor, you will need to have a record of everything that has already been claimed back against your monthly or quarterly PAYE bill. The contractors should provide you with a monthly statement for all deductions and payments made to you, which you can use to claim back tax.

It might surprise you to learn what EMPLOYED construction workers can claim for. This includes:

  • Travel expenses if you have to travel to different sites for less than 24 months, and use your own car, van, or motorbike, or even public transport
  • Toolsif you buy your own tools and aren’t reimbursed by your employer
  • Protective clothing for example gloves and boots that aren’t supplied by your employer
  • Washing protective clothing or uniforms even if your employer supplies the clothing you can still claim if you have to pay for cleaning it
  • Accommodation and subsistence expenses if you’re not reimbursed in full by your employer or are paid an allowance which is taxed
Things To Consider:
  • Claiming a Tax Refund does not affect your employer or contractor
  • You don’t have to be with the same employer to claim
  • Receipts aren’t always needed
  • The rebate for construction workers is over £900
Find Out More
subscription feess

Can I claim A Uniform Tax Refund if I Work In Building And Construction?

To be able to claim uniform tax refund, ALL of the following criteria must apply:

  • You wear a recognisable uniform that shows you’ve got a certain job, such as a branded T-shirt, nurse or police uniform. Plain clothes, without a logo, which you only wear for work may even count.
  • Your employer requires you to wear it while you’re working.
  • You have to purchase, clean, repair or replace it yourself. You can’t claim if your employer washes your clothes or provides facilities to do so (even if you don’t use them) or pays you for doing this upkeep.
Construction Industry Tax Returns

A self assessment tax return has to be completed by all CIS sub contractors and some PAYE workers in order to claim a refund. If you work under PAYE only and you have a claim worth £2500 or more in any one tax year a tax return will need to be submitted.

Find Out More

How Do I Start My Tax Refund?

Collect together as much information as possible concerning your employment (self of otherwise) and all expenses incurred. Bear in mind you can claim expenses for up to four Tax years, even if you have since been made redundant, or changed jobs. This will not affect your current employment in any way or form.

Typical information needed to process your Tax refund would include:

  • Copies of payslips
  • Details of sites you have been located at
  • Notes of equipment you specifically have purchased for work reasons
  • Contract of employment
  • Other information you feel could be relevant to your claim

The most important thing to remember is that the more information we have, the more chance of a bigger Tax repayment. No matter how little or irrelevant you think it might be, we could possibly make a claim for the expense.

What Are You Waiting For? Check today!

Check if you are due a Tax refund as an Healthcare worker