How To Claim My Tax Back

Tax Refund Claim Types

Every year more than 3.5 million people overpay tax in the UK. We are here to get you your tax refund using our simple tax refund calculator.

If you are in the UK any time in the last five years and have been a taxpayer at any time, you could be eligible to apply for a tax refund. THere are several different tax refund claim types and we are here to help you with the following.

How To Claim My Tax Back

Whatever your claim for a tax refund, we can help you. Our Tax Refund Calculator can be used for all UK claims. Apply for a tax refund today.


Uniforms and Work Equipment

If you wear a uniform for work, and have to wash, repair or replace it yourself, you may be able to reclaim a tax refund for up to five years worth of expenses. It doesn’t matter if it’s simply a branded T-shirt you wear or if you are a fully uniformed mechanic, firefighter, police officer or carer.

Simply a garment displaying the company logo such as a jacket or polo shirt will do.

However, to apply for a uniform tax refund, all of the following criteria must apply:

  • You wear a recognisable uniform that shows you’ve got a certain job, such as a branded T-shirt, nurse or police uniform. Plain clothes, without a logo, which you only wear for work may even count.
  • Your employer requires you to wear it while you’re working.
  • You have to purchase, clean, repair or replace it yourself. You can’t claim if your employer washes your clothes or provides facilities to do so (even if you don’t use them) or pays you for doing this upkeep.

Visit the individual sections to learn more about a uniform tax refund specific to your sector:

You can either claim:

  • the actual amount you’ve spent – you’ll need to keep receipts


  • an agreed fixed amount (a ‘flat rate expense’ or ‘flat rate deduction’)

Our Tax Refund Calculator can be used for all UK claims. Just answer a few simple questions to get the ball rolling.

So What’s It Worth?

As a basic rule, HMRC estimates that it costs most people £60 per year to maintain their work clothes. On a basic tax rate that means you would be entitled to £12 (20% of £60) back from HMRC.

Higher rate taxpayers get their 40% tax refund (£24) and other industries sometimes have different, more specific allowances. The list of jobs with their own rules (see above) is quite extensive, but tends to focus on industries with specific clothing requirements. Fire services, the NHS, certain engineering and construction jobs and many others have allowances higher than £60.

Also remember that the government’s figures won’t necessarily match what you’re actually spending each year. If you spend more than their estimates, then you’ll need to show proof (receipts, etc.) if you want to get a tax refund for the full amount you are owed.

Apply For A Tax Refund Today

Travel Expenses/Mileage

Travel expenses are only allowable for tax purposes if:

  • You have to make the journeys in the performance of the duties of your employment (such as where the duties themselves inherently involve traveling such as a delivery driver or meter reader);


  • They are journeys which you make to or from a place you have to attend in the performance of your duties, such as trips from your office or other work location or other ‘temporary’ workplace. This rule can also include travel directly from your home to visit a customer or to another ‘temporary’ workplace. (The word ‘temporary’ has a specific meaning in tax law, and typically applies when you are required to do any work in another location for a temporary purpose, as part of your ‘core’ employment).

The amount of travel expenses you can claim depends on how much (if anything) your employer pays you. You can currently reclaim tax relief on travel expenses for the last four tax years.

If you are claiming business mileage the current car mileage that can be claimed back in the current tax year is 45p per mile for the first 10000 business miles and 25p thereafter.

You cannot claim mileage if you are reimbursed by your employer.

You can claim tax relief for money for a other travel related expenses such as:

  • Public Transport Costs
  • Hotel Accommodation
  • Food and Drink
  • Congestion Charges And Tolls
  • Parking Fees
  • Fuel purchased while driving a company vehicle
  • Travelling between offices
  • Carrying passengers for work purposes

Union Fees And Subscriptions

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allow healthcare workers to get a tax refund on certain professional subscriptions or fees which have to be paid in order to carry out a job. This includes our registration fees.

You can claim tax relief on fees or subscriptions if:

  • HMRC has approved them
  • being a member of the organisation is relevant to your job

You cannot claim tax back on life membership subscriptions, or for fees or subscriptions you:

  • do not need to do your job
  • have not paid yourself
  • have paid to professional organisations that are not approved by HMRC
Start a claim

Marriage Tax Allowance

If you are married or in a civil partnership, you might be entitled to a tax refund for the marriage tax allowance you may not have been claiming. Millions of qualifying couples are missing out on it right now – don’t be one of them. If you meet the criteria for the allowance you will be entitled to an average refund of £900.

Marriage allowance is a tax break available to married couples and those in a civil partnership, where the lower earner of the couple can transfer up to £1,250 of their personal allowance to their partner.

The higher-earning spouse, who must be a basic-rate taxpayer, would receive a tax credit equal to the amount of personal allowance that has been transferred to them. This is then deducted from the amount of tax they would normally have to pay.

Start a claim

How To Claim My Tax Back?

Our Tax Refund Calculator will take you through all the steps you need to get your tax refund.

Collect together as much information as possible concerning your work and all the expenses you have incurred. Remember, you can claim expenses for up to four Tax years, even if you have since been made redundant, or changed jobs. This will not affect your current employment in any way or form.

Typical information needed to process your Security Tax refund would include:

  • Copies of payslips
  • Details of sites you have been located at
  • Notes of equipment you specifically have purchased for work reasons
  • Contract of employment
  • Other information you feel could be relevant to your claim

The most important thing to remember is that the more information we have, the more chance of a bigger Tax repayment. No matter how little or irrelevant you think it might be, we could possibly make a claim for the expense.

See if you can claim Contact Us