UK Government HMRC Tax Refund

Reclaim Your Tax

If at any point in your working life you have paid tax to the government, there is a chance you may be owed a tax refund from the UK government. There are many reasons why HMRC may owe you a tax refund, whether it be that your employer has been using the wrong tax code, you wear a uniform to work and haven’ realised you could be owed money for its upkeep or even the mis-allocation of pension allowances.

Tax Refund Calculator can help you claim back what is rightfully yours. By calculating whether you have overpaid tax due to unused uniform allowance or marriage tax allowance, you might be in for a nice surprise in the form of a payment from HMRC.

Who Is Eligible For A Tax Refund?

You are eligible to claim a government tax refund if:

You have paid tax within the last 4 years

You are employed under PAYE

You are self employed under the construction industry scheme

In many cases where people have unknowingly overpaid, a government tax refund is not automatically issued meaning you have to make a claim for what you are owed. This is where we can help.

Our Tax Refund Calculator helps UK taxpayers like you reclaim the money that they are owed with the minimum of hassle. You could be owed thousands in overpaid tax and not even know it!

UK Government HMRC Tax Refund

There are many reasons why people pay too much tax without realising.

This is most often by missing out on reliefs and exemptions they did not know about. This is where we can help you. A lot of the time it is possible to back date tax refunds for several (usually four) years and claim back what is rightfully yours.

The tax refunds that most UK residents are unaware of, and therefore missing out on, are the Uniform Tax Allowance and the Marriage Tax Allowance. We will explain below what each of these tax reliefs are and how we can help you.

Our Uniform Tax Guide will take you through each of these areas of employment and explain in more detail where you may be missing out. It will also go through your tax refund entitlements and more importantly, the process of claiming your money.

Uniform Tax Allowance

Could You Be Entitled To A Uniform Tax Allowance?

Many taxpayers are required to wear a uniform, branded clothing or safety garments for work and take care of the upkeep, replacement and laundering of these items as a matter of course. Whether you are required to wear pristine chef whites or heavy construction wear, chances are you end up spending much of your hard earned cash either keeping them clean or repairing/replacing used or damaged items and garments without a second thought. What people often do not realise is that they might be entitled to claim a government tax refund for costs such as these.

It is extremely common for individuals working in the following professions to secure a tax refund on uniform and equipment costs:

Marriage Tax Allowance

It’s hard to believe but over a Million married couples are owed a tax rebate of up to £1,188!

Some couples are only just becoming aware of the marriage allowance that came into effect in 2015, allowing couples to take advantage of a tax relief when they get married or enter a civil partnership. The good news for them is that claims for this a refund can be backdated for up to four years.

If you are married or in a civil partnership, you may have missed out on a tax break known as the Marriage Tax Allowance. There are over 2.2 million qualifying couples in the UK who are currently missing out on this government tax refund.

The marriage allowance is a government scheme that was introduced back in 2015, designed to give married couples income tax relief. The marriage allowance allows an individual to transfer 10% of their personal allowance (£12,500 in 2020/21 – the amount transferred is £1,250) to their spouse or civil partner. 20% of this allowance is then given as a reduction in the recipient’s tax bill. This can result in anything up to a £250 tax saving for couples every year.

Take a look at our marriage tax allowance section where we will explain all the qualifying criteria for you to make this claim.

Our CIS Tax Refund will calculator will show you how much money you may be due. It will go through your tax refund entitlements and more importantly, the process of claiming your money.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

Could You Be Entitled To CIS Tax Refund?

If you are self-employed in the building or construction trade, then you will be paying tax under the Construction Indu stry Scheme (CIS). The CIS is a HMRC scheme under which if you work for a contractor in the construction industry as a self-employed individual, then the CIS rules mean that the contractor is usually obliged to withhold tax on its payments to you, at either 20% if you are ‘registered’ or 30% if you are not.

By applying for CIS tax rebate you can claim back what you spent on things like equipment, clothing, meals, and travel. Plus you get back your tax-free Personal Allowance.

That’s an average tax rebate of £2,000.

The CIS covers more than what you may typically think of as building and civil engineering work, for example it includes work in demolition, site clearing, repairs and decorating, and installing power systems. The amount of tax that must be deducted by the contractor depends on whether you register as a sub-contractor under the CIS.



How Do I Claim a Tax Rebate?

To claim a refund on overpaid tax, you just have to follow a few simple steps. It takes seconds to start your tax refund claim and we have made as straightforward as possible.

What Are The Time Limits For Claiming A Tax Refund?

You have four years from the end of the tax year in which the overpayment arose to claim a refund. If a claim is not made within the time limit you will lose out on any refund that may be due.

How Long Does A Tax Refund Take?

Your Tax Refund (UK) will usually take somewhere between 5 days and 8 weeks to arrive (dependent on your circumstances).

Interest On Your Tax Refund

HMRC must pay interest on a tax refund if the repayment is made after 31 January after the end of the tax year in which you overpaid the tax.

To claim a tax refund, all you have to do is answer a few short questions on our simple form and we’ll do the rest.

Let us help you get you the largest tax rebate possible in the quickest time.